40027 - Craft Brewing Technician (BrewTech) Program
San Diego is well known as the craft brewing capital of the United States with over 150 active brewhouses and many scheduled to open this year. MiraCosta’s award-winning 210-hour BrewTech Program is designed to train students to become production brewers by gaining confidence in the brewhouse, cellar, and packaging line. As the premiere craft beer program in the San Diego area with an onsite brewery, this class will focus on a ‘grain-to-glass’ hands-on experience. We are the only Master Brewers Association of American recognized brewing program in the State of California and proudly boast over 85% employment with our graduates. The curriculum is designed to train students to become turnkey brewery technicians and includes recipe development, wort production, cellar practices, and packaging. Also, included are industry tours around San Diego that will expose students to multiple brewing applications and will serve to enhance their knowledge of craft beer production as well as increase their industry network. Students will also be required to complete a minimum of 80 hours in our work experience program at a local brewery to finish off their certificate training that will further add to their employability.
In addition to skills training students will receive:
- OSHA and LEAN certification
- Industry tours and guest speakers
- Employment readiness bootcamp
- Multiple brew
- MBAA Recognized
- 80 hour internship
- Over 90% employment rate from MiraCosta College, Technology Career Institute
- Over 90% graduation rate from MiraCosta College, Technology Career Institute
- TCI saw a 50% increase in hires during the pandemic
- Manufacturing in North County has grown steadily the last 5 years and employment is projected to continue and increase the next 5 years.
Students who enjoy hands on learning and are looking to start a career path quickly excel in our programs. Zero experience is necessary to be successful, but if you do have a degree and/or looking for something to supplement your education this is the place for you!
Whether you want to be in a clean room or on a manufacturing floor you can find a career path after graduating from our Engineering Technician program:
- Quality Assurance
This course is not open for online enrollment. Acceptance into the program will be determined after prerequisites are met.
Sallie Mae and WIOA funding available.
- Agreement to follow all MiraCosta and CDC COVID protocols.
- Complete application by clicking here --> Work Skills Application.
- Upon approval of the Work Skills Application, students will receive an email outlining the next steps: which will include a discussion about your career goals.
- After prerequisites are completed, students will be notified by email of their acceptance into the program.
"Mike Stevenson and his team were complete professionals and incredible instructors during the entire cohort. They are very patient and have great people skills that translate to very effective training. I have learned more in 3 months during this cohort than in 8 or 9 years of homebrewing and taking courses at UCSD. I will be forever grateful that I took this course and I know it will be the cornerstone of my success in the brewing industry." Student From Cohort 7 (2022)
“I absolutely loved the program. I think it definitely suited me to be able to confidently walk in a brewhouse at a beginning level.” Student from Cohort 4
“This course exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. This is a really amazing program, with great resources, and even greater instructors. I would not hesitate to recommend to others.” Student from Cohort 4
“I’d take this course again! I loved it so much, I learned an amazing amount of things. I wish it was a longer course!” Student from Cohort 4
Applies Towards the Following Certificates or Course Series
- Craft Brewing Technician (BrewTech) Certificate : Required Course